The event provided a platform for the Tourism Alliance to launch its annual publication of UK Tourism Statistics: Tourism Statistics 2016, highlighting the role that the industry has played in the rebuilding of the UK economy.
Bernard Donoghue, Chairman of the Tourism Alliance stated “tourism is an industry that provides growth and employment throughout the UK, in urban, rural and seaside communities. The very high turnout among MPs today shows there is growing recognition of this across Government and Parliament”
- value of tourism to UK economy in 2015: £127.4bn (up from £121.1bn in 2014)
- the UK is the 6th largest international tourism destination ranked by visitor expenditure
- the UK is the 8th largest international tourism destination ranked by visitor numbers
- the UK accounts for 3.6% of global international tourism receipts
- tourism is the UK’s 5th largest export earner after chemicals, intermediate manufactured goods, financial services and capital goods
- cultural activities accounted for a UK tourism spend of £5.6bn